Sunday 31 May 2015

to The White Horse, Quorn, Leicestershire

Living in Leicester I am spoiled for choice in terms of the number of bars, restaurants and cafes on offer in the city centre. All of the major chains can be found in and around the Highcross, Leicester's main shopping centre but as a country girl, sometimes all you want is a country pub and some greener surroundings. Enter The White Horse, Quorn...

After a twenty minute drive from Leicester's Queens Road, my housemate and I found ourselves at the village of Quorn, nestled in the countryside between Leicester and Loughborough and packed with independent shops and restaurants. With free on site parking and street parking directly outside the pub our first impressions were off to a flying start...


We even spotted an outdoor courtyard with heated lamps and umbrellas to be used all year round!


The pub was busy and I would definitely recommend booking as we only attained a table through another party's cancellation! We settled into our table and took in the decor...


Exposed beams, vintage furniture, old books and antique-looking clocks welcomed us as we deliberated over our food orders.
As we went on a Sunday, the menu was limited to accommodate the full Sunday lunch that was on offer and yet the choice was still endless.

We opted to share the nachos- if you have read any of my other posts you will see this is becoming a theme!


They arrived on a wooden paddle absolutely smothered in cheese- my favourite! The staff were lovely and friendly, which is extremely important to me, and were more than happy to accommodate our order of no jalapenos and guacamole.


The main course was just on another level. I had been craving meat all day and when spotting 'The Caveman Platter' consisting of steak, ribs, wings and chips I couldn't resist...what I wasn't prepared for was the sheer size.


Again presented on a wooden board, the Caveman arrived complete with bones- definitely making a statement and somewhat embarrassing for me when heads started to turn! Not quite what I was expecting! The steak strips were fabulous. Cooked exactly to my liking and perfectly pink I devoured it in record time! 

 Unfortunately I couldn't manage the whole thing, leaving my wings and a few ribs and chips but an all round good effort was made! The cheese on the chips were the icing on the cake for me!

My partner in crime ordered the Chilli Dog- a footlong hotdog topped with chilli, dehydrated onion and American mustard. 

Again, unable to eat it all due to the HUGE portions, my partner in crime was raving about the meal as we rolled our food-coma bodies back to the car.

Sadly we were too full for dessert and as this feeling rarely occurs, I think this proves how tasty and filling our meals were! We agreed we had to go back and try the puddings however as they looked delicious.

Tired from all the food, we left the The White Horse and its classic pub look behind and headed home to flop on the sofa.


Do you have a favourite pub or pub food?

G x

No comments:

Post a Comment